Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Taiwan Snack

***Disclaimer: This post was written on 19th, awaiting photos until today.***

I'm amused that this has been a Taiwan week for me.
First the pineapple cake and then last night we went for some Taiwan snacks.

There's the XXL Crispy Chicken.
If you stare at the skin long enough, it looks like algae or grown fungus....which makes it really different than any fried chicken we normally see. It's really crispy! The meat is very tender and it's evenly cooked. Usually with fried chicken the outer meat parts will b cooked and you'll find some meat or even blood clots that are stuck to the bone towards the middle. There's only some bones here, and the chicken meat comes apart easily from the bones.
Handmade Oyster Mee Sua
The description for this from Shihlin Snack's website goes like this:
A special stock comprising 5 core ingredients, brewed over a slow flame, forms the soup base for the imported mee sua. Only handmade mee sua is used for its superior flavour and texture. A generous amount of oysters and shredded chicken is added before serving. The Handmade Oyster Mee Sua is best eaten while hot.
The irony tickles my bone. Is the mee sua homemade or imported then?
In a way it make sense if the mee sua is handmade in Taiwan and then imported out to the other countries where they have branches in. But their website is based in Taiwan.
One bowl has only 3 oysters (I counted!), so the 'generous amount of oysters' description is obviously an exaggeration. The oysters was very squishy like raw egg yolk I think, hehehe....I had two. The mee sua cooked till really soft wasn't consistent in their width, so most probably they really do handmade the mee sua themselves. There's a good amount of shredded chicken though I think just eating the mee sua alone without any shredded chicken or oyster is yummy enough as the broth it's cooked in is makes the mee sua special. A little sambal made it taste even better!

At RM6 per dish, I think it's not something that I'll go for often.
Like I told Bee, on first glanced at the tiny shop, it doesn't really make much sense to get some crispy chicken from there.....after all a good fat drumstick outside is only selling for like RM3.80 the last I remember. And mee sua, personally that's sick food or food for old people......
Young people like Bee who has been to one of the branches in KL, because these places are like a trend (she really love the crispy chicken...her favourite!!! although I told her she only tried it once in KL and hasn't really tried any other to compare with to know that's her favourite but its beside the point)....then will visit the branches in Penang.
Maybe to reminiscence.
Or it's like my love affair with donuts......

For the mee sua, it will attract the elderly people on outings with their families. Haha, their sons and daughters can go 'There's mee sua here. Would you rather eat that?' And then the old people will nod their head in agreement and relief that they don't have to eat food they are not used to. Usually it's hard for old people to find something they can eat and not get indigestion or something in shopping malls. At least that's my logic. Hahahaha!

*edited 1st July*
To read Bee's reply to my post and good review of Taiwan Snack go here.

1 comment :

  1. hmph for the starting sentence and Hmph for the 2nd last paragraph!!!

    Blekkk....:P

    ReplyDelete