So after done with kayaking, I decided I was sure to be lazy and not come out again if I go back to the hostel and took a bath.
I went to the kiwi centre to look at kiwis.
These fellas aren't small. They are like the size of turkey.
It was interesting to learn that they are anti social creatures who only socialize with their mates.
Also, an egg growing in a female kiwi can weigh til 75% of what the mum weighs.
So chiaklat for the mum!
But the moment she pops it out, its up to the dad to warm the egg til the chick comes out.
And the chick is pretty big and well feathered.
They are nocturnal birds though. So the centre had 2.
One was anxiously going about the wall while another was just scratching for food.
The anxious one was bigger, maybe it was pregnant.
They eat bugs n worms so they are known to have strong smell although I didn't smell anything with just two of them.
It was good to learn of one of New Zealand's own bird.
They do not have any animals to call their own only birds.
No comments :
Post a Comment