*this is a backdated post*
Queenstown is about an hour away from Wanaka.
When I arrived, it was evening, the mountain peaks surrounding Queenstown looked alot like Kobe beef in the sunset.
I booked into Adventure Hostel and was assigned an upper bunk that the rung was too high to climbed up on.
The really nice lady on duty at reception helped me out by getting me a bean bag from the tv room to use as leverage up.
The next day the girl below me had left, so I moved my sheets and pillows down as I was staying four nights in total.
My first day was spent going up the cable car.
The view from the top was awesome. I couldn't stop making videos from different angles.
There were people paragliding, and it was nice to watch them.
I took the package that comes with two rounds of the Luge.The ride's first route was nice but the second route was steeper and some corners sharper that I didn't make it around without getting stuck.
Thankfully there was no other luges coming down while I get myself around those corners I get stuck on.
On the way down I visited the cemetery there.
Then I headed towards the library, but it was closed.
Walking around the Botanical Gardens, it was lovely to watch the autumn colors come to life.
The Botanical Gardens is set like a peninsular onto Lake Wakatipu, so it was a good walk on the paths.
All over the place, people were playing something called disc golf that involved throwing a disc into chain baskets located throughout the Gardens.
One of the things I really wanted to do in Queenstown was to visit Hell's Pizza.
I asked my hostel receptionist on duty for directions to it, surprised to find the entrance in a secluded corner.
The pizzas were named after the 7 deadly sins and all things to do with Hell, like Purgatory, Limbo and Damned.
I really enjoyed being there, feeding my 'evil' side. The decor was all red and black, with creepy dark music playing in the background.
There was also different level of spicyness for the pizzas you can choose from and I chose the 2nd lowest one on the first night.
The next day I had booked myself a trip to Milford Sound, so I was up before the sunrise.
Along the way it started to drizzle and rain.
The bus driver took us to quite a few beautiful spots along the way.
I managed to see a rainbow at one of those places and it certainly warmed my heart.
The bus driver told us a few days back there was even snow in certain parts of the roads we were taking.
I half hoped there was snow, but yet to have snow could mean our trip getting cancelled.
At one point we had to wait for our turn to drive through a tunnel that was dug into the mountain side.
A lot of bridges across the lakes in New Zealand are one way ones, so it was always interesting to watch the vehicles taking turns to use the bridges.
Because of the rain, the mountain sides had a lot of pretty little streams of water flowing down.
When we arrived at the pier for Milford Sound it was still raining.
It was a cruise boat, and the first thing we did when we got on was to have lunch.
After so many meals of sandwiches or noodles, I was glad to have meat, seafood and ice cream.
Where there was streams of water on the mountain sides, now there was alot of waterfalls to look at coming down on all sides of Milford Sound.
I got to see a seal, resting on some rocks as the captain navigated the boat really close to the rocks and waterfalls for us.
When I got back to Queenstown, I headed to Hell's Pizza for my second time, this time picking on the next level of spicyness and having a pear cider to go along with it.
The next day, I figured out it was now or never.
I was either going to bungy jumped or regretted I didn't for the rest of my life.
This had been the whole point of my trip.
Half an hour into the shop opening, I walked in and booked my slot for the afternoon.
Then I went back to the hostel and tried to read to relax myself.
But I was all butterflies inside and it was a really long anxious wait.
There was a bunch of people going up at the same time as I was.
We went up to the place in a small van.
From there we went to the edge and by cable went to this cable car right in the middle of cliffs, where right below us was the Nevis river.
Bungy jumped I did. It was embarassing now thinking back, how I went down with my feet first instead of head, and managed to turn myself around midair.
And then there was the whole I couldn't tug myself out of my feet straps for the way up, so I was going back up like a slaughtered pig hanging upside down.
My shoe nearly came out and the guy who let me out had to throw it into the cable car first or it might have fell off into the Nevis river.
So it was a thrilling, exciting but embarassing experience for me.
But this was what my trip was about, and in the end I DID IT!
After the excitement of all that, I was more sociable to the people in my room.
There was this silly man in the same room and he made each of us signed on his long johns with him wearing them on.
So basically I signed on his ass!
I joined them out to dinner since it was my last night there in Queenstown.
We went to a nice seafood restaurant, after a visit to a wine tasting shop where out of four of us, two was doing the wine tasting.
After dinner, we hanged out watching youtubes in our room as the guys kept us entertained with Pablo Francisco's impersonating Schwarzenegger doing Little Tortilla Boy.
Later on they decided that the long johns had to be FILLED UP with signatures, so we stopped by a few bars to get signatures.
The last place I was with them was this club across the town, where they had cocktails in teapots.
They stayed on much later than I did, as I needed to bathe and had a morning flight to Auckland to catch the next day.
I was glad to have met this decent bunch of random people that stayed in the same room and got along with.
No comments :
Post a Comment