Monday, April 28, 2014

A-Z Xenophobia

So what are you afraid of?
I have never been one to be afraid of other races and cultures as a kid.
When I grew up and started getting remarks from my dad, I didn't know what to do.
I mean, all my days as a kid he could have conditioned me to be afraid or to avoid them.
But instead the female ones were my closest friends in high school and we would walk home from school everyday together.
I would spend hours at their houses doing homework or just fooling around.
It never occurred to him that my friends have brothers that easily played along with us or disturb as like any annoying brothers would.

So it was pretty ridiculous to accept, when he asked I break off with a male friend.
He said they were not to be trusted and he knows better than me.
Well, if you knew better, then early education would have avoided the hurt and pain I feel of being accused to be in a relationship with a married guy just because he belong to another race you don't like.
To even use the word break off implied there was something to begin with in the first place.
How he could call his own daughter a marriage breaker and her friend unfaithful is beyond my understanding.
The irony of it all considering my friend just got married last month, about to migrate overseas to be with his wife and we've been friends in the open for years.

But I gave in, in the end and said I will try not hanging out with him anymore.
After all, my friend was leaving soon.
Little does he knows we've kept in touch even now thanks to the advances of technology.
And someday I will visit them.
It's a little too late to establish xenophobia at this stage, by whatever means tried.
If you want to, my advice is to start young.

No comments :

Post a Comment