Tuesday, February 19, 2008

KhunTai Thai Restaurant in Butterworth

Warning: Pictures are blur because I was trying to capture as many pictures as I can before I got scolded! Hehehe!!

So yeah, on Sunday night, we went to this place called Khun Tai in Butterworth.


I forgot to take a picture of the ambience but the moment I reach there I squealed "Romantic-nyer" because tables are put under huts with warm orange lights..... everything was bamboo bamboo and cosy looking.
I squealed again when I saw my 2nd aunt and other relatives was coincidentally having dinner there!! Hahaha!
I later on sneak up on her, and gave her a shock that startled her til she drop her fork! *oops* Hehehehehehehehehehe!!!! It was their first time there too. Later on she came over to our table and sat with us throughout our meal. We more or less 'force' her to try the dishes we had, although she just finish her dinner! I miss spending time with her very much, after all she's ohana.

On with the pictures,


The big big prawns they have there in the tanks.... we didn't order because we just had alot for CNY!

Kangkong Deep Fried in Flour........it came with thai chilli sauce which was really thick. The combination of sauce with the fluffyness of the flour was a sweet yet chrunchy and would have been better appreciated, if we weren't so hot and spiced out most of the time
by the main dish... which was this.........
Steamed fish cooked Keng Som style, whatever that meant! It's sour and spicy at the same time, but is of a much lighter shade than tomyam.......... The waiter actually suggested us to fry the fish, but dad doesn't like fried fish so we chose the steam version. I imagine that if it was fried it will be like.......fried fish in soup?!?! Although it came in a fish hot plate, it had loads of soup, there was even a bowl of soup and veggies for us to add on to the steaming hot plate. Usually fish in hot plate is cooked with gravy. This was something different, that we were drinking the soup like tomyam!
What was cool was that the steaming hot plate came with charcoal under it.....loads of charcoal to keep the soup boiling throughout the meal! I had to take the soup out....and wait a while for it to cool before I can enjoy it without burning my tongue! Even so, the spicyness was just making me Whoooooh!!!

We ordered a plate of Belacan Fried Rice just to try. I like this dish. I like the pieces of meat especially (I think it's pork) because it was sweet (reminding me of char siew) and contrasted nicely with the Keng Som fish. There was even some chilli padi at a corner, but didn't make an impact because the Keng Som fish spiciness was Whoooh!! enough.


We tried the Cashew Nut Chicken, which thankfully the cashew nuts was cooked til soft enough for me to eat!!! What with my braces, I have to be extra careful where nuts are involved.
The dried chillies didn't make that much oomph to the chicken (which reminded me of spring water chicken, although this was completely boneless, maybe because spring water chicken are usually cooked with dried chillies), but it was alright because our main dish had override the rest in terms of flavors.

Lastly, we ordered this Fried Jelly Noodle. I wasn't impress by it as it was too dark and too short?(how to explain, I like my jelly noodles long long!) but it was okay as a side dish.

Having described all that, the bill came up to over RM70......we ordered 3 coconuts (at rm3.50 each is steep!!) which caused our bill to go up that much or else it would have been only about rm60. The service was pretty fast, and the place got so packed by the time we finish that there were people standing around waiting for empty places!
There is a lot more dishes we haven't tried, I can't wait for the next time to try the tomyam. From the looks of it at our relatives table, it was a rich red color. Hehe!

No comments :

Post a Comment